Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Twitter Newbie!

Yes, I am a Twitter newbie. You would think that I would have tried this a long time ago, and I will admit that I was tempted, but due to an old mobile phone and not really understanding it, I didn't actually start using it for quite some time.

I finally started trying to use it at the DevLearn08 conference, since I had upgraded to an iPhone earlier this year. I managed OK, but found there was quite a bit I didn't know. So I dropped off for a while, but I am trying again and have been searching for some reliable resources to get more information.

For those that are interested, here's what I've found:
  • The Twitter Fan wiki has a good section for Newbies, including etiquette - a nice touch.
  • Sue Waters (an Edublogger with lots of web 2.0 experience) wiki on Personal Learning Networks has a nice Twitter page with links to good apps to use as well as good ideas about how to be professional in using Twitter. Since she writes for educators who want to use Twitter in their classes, it's probably good enough for all us other professionals as well!
  • For those of you in the instructional design realm, you may want to check out the Social Learning Question of the Day and follow the SLQOTD group on Twitter. It's been a good way for me to get enough tweets to start figuring out how to use it best, and it's been interesting as well!
  • Use an app like Twitterific or Twinkle on your phone. I'm trying both out on my iPhone, but am leaning towards Twitterific (somewhat easier to use), although both are very good apps and both have a free version. I'm also using Twitterific on my mac, much easier than trying to use the Twitter website to keep up with things during the day. (Note: there are many good apps out there now, so pick one you like and start using it!)
I hope that with my new apps to play with and having some interesting tweets to track, I'll soon be getting better at this! And if you're interested, you can find me on Twitter too!

No comments: